Monday, September 26, 2011

Did My Heart Really Break??


"Men (Women) Wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success."  ~~Ernest Shackleton (1874-1922)

The next step in the hiring process is getting what they call, "PQ'd" (physically qualified). The process of pq'ing requires the applicant to go through some very stringent medical and dental examinations. They do this because they want to make sure that nothing serious is going to happen to you once you’re in Antarctica. Flights are limited, medical services are even more limited. There is a clinic and dentist at the stations, but the equipment there to be used in a medical emergency are what they somewhat consider "rustic." They have the ability to deal with most minor injuries and illnesses, but if it becomes something that is considered life threatening or a long term injury, you're air lifted out of there and treated in either New Zealand or Chile. Or in some cases, your deployment comes to an abrupt end and you're sent back to the states.

A book I recently read gives an all too vivid reality check as to what can happen to you if something develops while you are in Antarctica. I sent my copy to my mother to read, hoping it would give her an idea as to the journey that is ahead of me. It’s an inspiring real life story. I finished it in three days, it was so good. If any of you are at all curious, here is the link: 



The great thing is that you get reimbursed for all the medical and dental screening that you are required to go through. On the other hand, if something abnormal shows up, you're required to do whatever additional testing is necessary to prove that you're healthy. If you're serious about going to Antarctica, that is. These expenses, however, come out of your own pocket. 

So as you walk into that doctor's office, you keep your fingers crossed they won't find anything. The younger you are, the fewer tests you’re required to do. But as most things go, the older you get, the more your body starts to degenerate, resulting in more tests. Tests like anal probing. Shudder.

Being a 30 year old woman, I was lucky enough to not have an insane amount of testing ahead of me. I walked into the small clinic in Seward and was greeted by a building cloaked in shadows. 

Talk about an eerie beginning. 

The power had gone out at this end of town and they had been waiting for two hours for it to turn back on. They said they would be able to do some of the examination, but I would have to schedule another day to do the blood testing that I was required to get done. 

Eager to get as much of it as I could out of the way, I went ahead and agreed to do the exam. I soon found myself sitting in a room lit by just an emergency flashlight dressed in a medical gown.
The medical examination involved the following:
  • Physical exam
  • Influenza shot (performed w/headlamp)
  • Tetanus shot (performed w/headlamp)
  • TB skin test (performed w/headlamp)
  • Drug test (performed on a separate day)
  • Blood test (Was supposed to be done a different day, but the power finally came back on)
  • EKG (machine was on backup battery)
  • Mammogram (had completed earlier in the spring before I even knew I wanted to go to Antarctica)
  • Pap smear (same as above)
I can openly say that I do not consider myself an overly arrogant person. However, no matter how humble you may be, there is bound to be something to make arrogance raise its ugly head. For me, it was someone telling me that there was something wrong with me. That someone being a doctor.

I'm thirty years old. Ever since I was a small child, I have been hit off and on throughout my life with nasty bouts of pneumonia. I vaguely remember celebrating my sixth birthday in the hospital because of pneumonia. In college, it was pneumonia that had me almost bed ridden for a month and gave me a dislocated rib cartilage that took months to heal. A few years ago, it was pneumonia that landed me in the emergency room with a pleural effusion and I was out of work for over a month.

It's always been pneumonia that's gotten me. I've never had another major medical concern. My whole life I grew up being told by my mother (bless her heart) that I had to watch what I did with myself because my lungs wouldn't be able to handle it. When I taught 30 day wilderness courses for the National Outdoor Leadership School and I was living up at 13,000ft for almost an entire month, my mother said I couldn't do it. But I did it. I was in the best health of my life.

When I walked into the clinic to do my exam, I had a slight fear that they would tell me that I wouldn't qualify because of scar tissue in my lungs from pneumonia. But that was just my internal paranoia going off. I felt I was pretty healthy. I was working outside every day as a kayak guide. I didn't smoke, I barely drank, and I ate healthy. I was active day in and day out.

As it were, my lungs passed with flying colors. It was my heart that got me. They checked my pulse and the nurse looked up at me. She asked me if I was a runner or a swimmer. I shook my head. Only occasionally and not lately because I had been so busy with work. I'd had little time or energy for running.

She nodded and wrote a few things down. She then turned to me and said, "You're resting heart rate is at 50 bpm. That's usually a heart of an endurance athlete."

The words, “endurance athlete” brought my good friend, Attila Boros to mind.


That was not me.

I shrugged. I didn't know what to say. I'd always had a slow heart rate. The year before I had gotten my wisdom teeth out and my heart rate had set off the heart monitor's alarm because it had been down to 48 bpm. At that point, they had just said it was because I was healthy.

We finished the physical exam and they led me into the EKG room. The power had yet to return, but they decided to go ahead with the EKG since it could operate on battery backup. I agreed. I was just ready to get it all over with.

They attached me to the big machine, had me lie down as still as possible and took the first reading of my heart. The nurse looked it over, looked at me, opened her mouth, and finally spoke.

“So…the EKG is reading abnormal. I think I’m going to run it again, maybe there was a “hiccup” in your heart beat as it took it.”

If there was going to be a “hiccup” in my heart beat, that announcement would have definitely produced it.

So I lay back down, managed to regulate my suddenly racing heart, and waited patiently for the dreaded machine to spit out its results. The whole time, my arrogant brain was convincing me that it was a glitch in the machine. There was nothing wrong with me. How could there be? I was perfectly healthy. 

When the paper came out, the nurse’s reaction was the same. I literally felt my heart sink. There was something wrong with me. 

She unattached me from the machine and sat me up. “Now I’m just going to step outside and chat with Doctor Ursel to see if he needs to come in and discuss a few things with you.”

Left in the room to my own devices, my overactive imagination soon was creating all sorts of unimaginable situations. 

A minute later, the doctor himself walked into the room with my EKG results. He pulled up a chair and sat down across from me. 

“Now, what we’re seeing in your EKG has brought up some concern,” he said quietly.

I raised an eyebrow. “What exactly is it that you’re seeing?”

“We’re seeing things that we shouldn’t be seeing in someone of your age and sex. We’re seeing things that we should be seeing in a 60 year old, obese, smoker male.”

Ok…

My heart suddenly hurt. Did this mean I was a walking heart attack? 

I didn’t believe it. 

“The EKG is reading that you have “Irregular Sinus Bradycardia.” This could mean a number of things. It could mean the following: 1) your heart is not getting enough oxygen so you might have dead tissue; 2) you could have a blockage somewhere 3) you could be perfectly healthy and just have something that we call “athlete’s heart.” However, with the results of this EKG, you would not qualify for Antarctica. I can guarantee you they won’t take you without further testing.”

I can guarantee you they won’t take you…

These words echoed over and over in my head. Something that I had thought would be a cake walk had turned into the nightmare of all nightmares. 

“So what we’re going to do,” the doctor said, “Is send out your EKG to the Alaska Heart Institute in Anchorage so we can see if it’s officially anything we need to be concerned about. They will advise us as to the next step that you need to take, if anything. Once I get the results, I’ll give you a call, and we can go from there. Until then, I wouldn’t be too concerned. You’re healthy, you’re young, it’s probably just how your heart is made.”

With those words, he ushered me out the door just as the power went back on.

Light had come back into the world, but it had suddenly dimmed in mine. As I walked to my car to head back to the kayak shop, I found myself wondering. 

The term, "heart break" is a terrible cliche. My heart ached from loving someone who no longer loved me in return, so therefore you could consider it "heart break." But could your heart really break? Had heart break really broken my heart?

Antarctica, what had once seemed a grand idea and solution to all my problems, suddenly appeared very dismal.

No comments:

Post a Comment